Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Where did everyone go?

You know those moments when, all of a sudden, you realise you are completely alone? No, I'm not being symbolic and talking about being homesick. I'm talking about when I'm at school at my desk, performing very important tasks such as sharpening pencils and consuming lunch, and I look up to see an empty staffroom.

Last week, I finished my school lunch. I remember it clearly. It was Chinese style food. Don't get me wrong, I like Japanese food, I really do. Even though most of it sortof tastes the same. After a few days of Japanese food, Chinese food is a revelation. After licking the inside of the bowl clean, I stood up to put away my dishes. I heard the creak of my chair as I stood up. The staffroom was empty. It turns out that most of the students and teachers went to a modern dance recital. So, I had the whole afternoon on my own.

A few days earlier, just after cleaning time, the same thing happened again (unfortunately, without the chinese food). I was just curious where everyone had gone. Then I heard some clapping coming from the direction of the courtyard. All the teachers and students were there, lined up, wearing white gloves. A thought crossed my mind that they were going to be an angry mob, tracking down the minorities... that would be me. But I deciphered the hieroglyphs on the staffroom blackboard, and it was apparently an angrry mob collecting sweet potatoes. From the staffroom window I watched the them all go to what I know know as the school vegetable garden.

This is happening all too frequently. I have mentioned that I seem to be treated like a pet (only no-one ever throws a ball for me). This is quite common for the token foreigner at a school. There is the perception that:
A) We won't understand. (never mind that we may have studied Japanese before)
B) We don't need to know.
C) We just want to do the work, and go home right when school finishes.

I guess all arguments have some element of truth, but they are also very stupid. Some people say the reason the token foreigner is never told anything is because Japanese teachers are very busy. I don't buy this argument. Because I know they see me as a pet. Feed me daily, take me out for a walk every now and then (I'm good with children), and make sure there is water available. Okay, I'm sorry, I'm not being very serious. I don't mean to make fun of my colleages. I know they work very h...oh look, school has finished. I'm going home.

No comments: