Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Semi-Success Story Of An Immigrant Labourer and Others Like Me.


In this time of crisis, there is one thought that immigrant labourers all over the world can reassure themselves with: People still need to eat. Also, apparently people are generally too lazy to make food for themselves. This is a job for one of us!

For the last month and a half, I have been working inconsistent hours in catering. I have little experience in the field, other than I also sometimes eat food. In that respect, I have a lot of experience for someone of my age. The job varies a lot, as I am actually a substitute caterer. I get a phone-call the day before, and a message with an address. I show up, and have to work 3-4 hours. It's not ideal, but I am hardly in a position to be bargaining.

The very first day, I showed up for 2 1/2 hours of work, and they showed me where the washing kitchen was. I had to pretend to know what I was doing. So, I washed dishes for 350 people - enough for an entire year for myself- presuming that you ate only one meal per day and used a lunch-tray. My point is, that is a lot of dishes.

Other times, I am a lunch lady. I make sandwiches, toasted sandwiches, make orange juice, work the deep fryer, mop, wipe and generally look pretty in an apron.

It is amazing how many different lunchrooms there are in Rotterdam. I had no idea. I have worked at a shipping company, a powerplant, a fertiliser company, a high-rise office building lunchroom, a bank. I never thought that bankers ate food. I just presumed that they got enough nutrition from other people's suffering. I was wrong. Also, I worked at some university campuses.

My word, kids are spoiled in Holland. I was making sandwiches at the time, specifically "Broodjes Gezond", which means "Healthy sandwich". I was shocked at how fussy these kids are. "Can you make one with white bread?... and no tomato... And no lettuce..."

I wanted to reply to them: "How about I inject it with chocolate, deepfry it and ram it in your throat before it cools?"

Maybe I am being tormented by my childhood, having to prepare my own sandwiches for school lunch since I was old enough to wield a bread knife. I did have my lunch made for me once, I remember it clearly because that was for my 17th birthday. I never even once bought lunch when I was at university. Why? Because I was a student! They're supposed to be poor! You are supposed to sit outside on the grass eating from a can of tuna with your fingers!

So, this is how the privelleged half of society live then? Or maybe all students in Holland are in the upper half. In that case, I certainly hope so since I will be joining them soon. "Hippo"-what?

As I mentioned, I am not the only immigrant labourer working in the catering. It really is quite interesting, and a great way to get used to the many different accents in Holland. Most people quickly pick up on the fact that I am not from around here, although it's encouraging that sometimes they don't. (Or possibly they don't care since I am only working there for a few hours.)

The best part about this job though, is that we have to throw away so much food. You know, those pesky things called "health regulations". Yes, even Holland has them too. So, although I only work short hours, I almost always leave well-fed. Brilliant. Left-overs truly are my favourite food, and it tastes even better when it is free. Because sometimes, immigrants need to eat too.

No comments: