Friday, October 30, 2009

The Best Week of Music

Four months ago, I wrote this glowing review about seeing my favourite band play live. It was Groundation's first performance in The Netherlands, and only four months later, I was able to see them for their second Dutch performance. This time, in Den Haag. It was in a small-ish music hall, or as optomistic musicians who can't sell out big concerts like to call it "an intimate audience". Among the spectators was my own father. Awesome. I was converting my dad to a Groundation faithful. On the one hand, I feel lucky to see this band before they make it big, but on the other hand, it is such a shame that such good reggae music goes on largely unnoticed, while only four days later in Amsterdam, a giant reggae festival is going to have thousands of fans.

Of course, I will be among these thousands of fans. Are you kidding me? Let's give you a quick run-down of this line-up.

Shabba Ranks: Not exactly my style, but he is a classic voice in the early reggae-Dance hall transition.

Jah Cure: A cult-figure in reggae, and justifiably with a voice like this.


Serani: I didn't know him before, but this track is pretty sweet.

Tanya Stephens: A big up and comer, with an original sound and as reggae people call it "conscious sound". I am not exaclty sure what that means, but I pretty sure this song has it.


Richie Spice: In March, I went to what I then thought was a big reggae concert, and Richie Spice was the headline act. I thought the concert was then worth it, and this time, he is the 4th act I want to see. Although in March he was a bit of a let-down. I mean, he couln't even hit many of his own high notes. Maybe he wasn't entirely conscious. So I am hoping he sing his boots off and earn back my respect, because his songs deserve them.

Maikel X
: I saw him before at Park Pop while I was dressed as MJ, and being a locally based-artist, he is the the weak link in this line-up. But good for him.

Duane Stephenson: Another new-up-and-comer singing true roots reggae. I have been listening to him a lot recently, so this is exciting. He also appears to be "conscious" in this song:


The ony problem is, with such a huge line-up, and a huge night ahead, I hope I can be conscious myself for the entire night. If I can, it will easily have been the biggest week of music of my life.

No comments: