Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Spirit

Spare yourself the barrage of crappy Christmas movies. I think I found your Christmas spirit right here. It was a week before Christmas, and still our apartment didn't have a tree, or anything red or green. (Although, to be fair, I didn't look under the fridge or the couch. Noone ever does.) I once, accidentally set up a Christmas tree within the home of a Jehova's witness family, so no way in hell I was going to go without in my one student home. So after getting my day's study done, I gathered up everything green I could find, and what the flatmates gave, and I gathered as much potentially useful stuff that I could.

It took a few hours (finishing at 2am) with the help of flatmates, but wow. I looked up and thought: it's beautiful. It really is.
Okay, Okayy, objectively, I do realise that it looks like a piece of crap, so much so, that I couldn't be bothered to rotate this image. Actually, the bottom of the tree fell out a few days ago, but I had to make emergency repairs every morning, as it wasn't so structurally sound. We created it from a broom, on which we taped carboard, on which we taped the plastic portion of 5 shopping bags, and other random pieces of green. I did splash out to get some lights, but it was totally worth it. I know, you're thinking:

A) Does that mean that since your broom is now a Christmas tree, there won't be any sweeping done at your place? And,

B) This piece of crap took you 3 hours to make?

A), cleaning? In a student house? and B), it may be a piece of crap, but it's a BIG piece of crap! And look at the detailing.

Observe the cardboard apple-box, the barcode on the shopping bag (the Dutch make you pay for plastic bags!), the McDonald's Christmas ball, and the card from the below neighbours.

Because I learned something through this experience. The true meaning of Christmas is about the little things, and about turning pieces of crap into BIG pieces of crap.

Merry Crapmas to you all!

(see, wasn't this much more painless than sitting through a 90 minute Christmas special?)

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Covering plastic bags with hot christmas lights. What are they teaching you in school?

Ruben said...

"Covering plastic bags with hot christmas lights" sounds very punk. Screw safety, and screw the man! (in this case, the Christmas man)