Friday, April 08, 2011

Tekapo




Last week I finally escaped Christchurch for a couple of days - the first time since January that I've left the city. Tekapo is a small touristy place famed for its lake. It is a glacial lake, and certain minerals give it the unreal-blue colour. I was sitting on a parkbench overlooking the lake while writing, and I saw the clouds trying to spill over the mountains. It was really quite magnificent, so I decided to take photos every 20 seconds or so. I put them together in the video below. The 2nd set from about the 55-second is really spectacular, as you can see the wind changes and sweeps a bright blue all the way across the lake. The song is an instrumental from my musical director. (More on this in the future)



My friend will start working tours at the observatory. Apparently, due to the mountains keeping the clouds from entering, Tekapo has the clearest skies in New Zealand. So, I spent an entire night on top of the hill under the milky way and shooting stars. It was pretty amazing.

However, it was also a time of sadness. As we were driving down a 100kmph road near Mt. Cook, there was a noise on the car bonnet. I turned around and looked through the back window to see a small black object bouncing on the road. My heart sunk because I knew exactly what it was: my camera. I had left it on the car during a lunch-break. That was a trusty camera ever since I accidentally went to England. It's the end of an era.

However, all up, the trip was very much worth it. There was also a night's camping, a beautiful walk up a hill overlooking the lake, and a wind-down in a hotspring. Who would have thought that leaving a devastated city would be such an uplifting experience?

No comments: