Sunday, January 11, 2009

Ice

Listen good children, gather close and listen to grandpappy Ruben's story about when it was so cold the dikes turned as hard as concrete, and we strapped funny looking shoes to our feet and tried not to fall over...

Even for people living in Holland for a long time, this has been an exceptionally cold year. And stunningly beautiful. But I won't bore you with trying to describe it with those "wordy" things. Not when my camera came out with photos like these.

I went for a long walk with Bacchus. I took a walk out here to a future highway, because this dog listens to your commands as well as a duck. I could take him off the leash for a while. However, a Duck wouldn't chase after a jogger, bite him in the leg, and then run away from you.





I went to Den Haag, and found myself on the 7th floor of a building. From there, I saw something I haven't seen in 6 months: The sea. A horizon. A beach. It was the beach of the famously beautiful and infamously unpronounceable "Scheveningen". I had to go there. I just had to. I was drawn to it like a horsefly to, well... you know...

When there is ice on the beach, you know it is cold. You may recall the very first photo of me ice skating. 5 years ago, I had gone ice skating for about an hour on a date, but otherwise, I was very new to it. However, again, I took to it like a horsefly. It is a sport- nay- an art of grace, style, flowing beauty. I think I did it justice.

This Ice Ballet, is an Interpretative Sumo Dance inspired by Tom and Jerry.

No comments: