Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dream Job?
Monday, 8:26AM

My phone vibrates. I consider rolling over again, but somehow manage to check it. It asks me if I want to work at Heineken, in 90 minutes. I consider rolling back over. I was so tired.

Suddenly I sit up. It is a beer factory! Why would I even hesitate? Is this not what people like me dream of?



And this isn't any beer factory- it is one of the main breweries in Holland of the world's 3rd largest beer company (and largest exporter). Sure, I wasn't going to be making beer or anything; I was going to be a lunch lady again. But a lunch lady at Heineken is a pretty cool lunch lady. It sure beats catering at a university, a fertiliser company, a shipping company, a bank, an electric company or a waste-disposal company. I put on my catering clothes- which was almost exactly the same as my Michael Jackson costume from 2 days earlier (unwashed), and biked out into the Dutch weather.

After a half-hour bike-ride, I rolled up to the factory complex. It was beautiful. Nestled among the rolling green gardens was the factory with its familiar red letters. I got given a visitors card and got led down endless beer-themed offices to the lunch room.

The work itself was irrelevant- every kitchen is basically the same, and I worked just four hours, and I'll probably never go back. I must say, however, while the Tui ad about gorgeous women is an overstatement, the "ahem", talent at the beer factory was much higher than any other place I've worked at. (I guess not too many women want to work at a waste-disposal company...). The point is, I now consider myself part of the Heineken family. It feels warm.

So next time you open up a Heineken, for a moment consider that in a way, you are paying my way through school.

No comments: