Sunday, March 08, 2009

More Dress-ups

Now, I know I'm making it seem like Dutch University is all a conspiracy to let people play dress-ups. One of these days, I will mention something about that learning thing, but the problem is, those photos aren't nearly as embarrassing.

The great thing about this costume was that it gave me an excuse to shave my beard off- something I hadn't done in over half a year. I really didn't want to turn into that old guy: "I have had this beard since the summer of '08, and haven't looked back since..."

The moment it came off, I worried that I might get asked for my ID when I buy alcohol. In Holland, the minimum age is 15. Yes, I look that young again. Which was good because for this Superhero-themed party, I was going as young prince Aladdin.

Okay, I realise that he isn't technically "super", but he has 3 wishes. Close enough. Besides, he is the world's most loveable Arab. Any other Arab costume you wouldn't be allowed to wear in most other countries in this mixed up world, where people would either get angry or scared, and call the police, except liberal Holland where you can even dress up as a blackface-minstrel (and presumably Arabia). Now, that's pretty super. Really though, I just wanted to wear those silky golden pants. Can you blame me?


So, I showed up to the party a half-hour fashionably late, put on my hat and my monkey, and went into the main room...

[...]

Inside, there was nobody but 2 barmen and 2 DJs... I strolled in, dressed like a complete idiot. Was this a big set-up? Was everybody hiding and about to jump out to surprise me? The old "Tell some-one it is a dress-up party" prank? I promised myself I'd never fall for that one again...

Luckily, most other people were simply more fashionable than me, and much more lame. There were some other costumes, and semi-costumes, but most people dressed up as "Super-Lame-Tshirt Guy". I was proudly the owner of the 'most-skin-showing' costume. So, that's something right there. And now, I could also see my face again. It's true what they say- sometimes a costume can reveal yourself the most clearly.

(as an idiot?)

No comments: