Tuesday, September 16, 2008


"Pointy shoes"


Unless I don't want to be, I am always a people-person. I will always go that extra kilometre to please. Although I no longer want to teach, I do want to educate. That is why, I had to react when I got an email from an unnamed source the other day. He/she wrote:

"Will you send me a picture of you next to a windmill? (preferably wearing pointy shoes...really sorry, what are those called?) Or have a picture with all of the above, with you sticking your finger in a dam. That would be an awesome overly gimmicky postcard!! Too bad it's not tulip season...."

Oh, where to start...

  1. Pointy shoes. They are called "santa's little helper boots". Why do people always focus on the shoes? I once read an article of a study that found that the first thing women notice about a man is their shoes. Sure, this friend was a woman, and I guess if they are pointy shoes, that would be fair enough. But there is more to Dutch costume than just the shoes. How about the striped red-and-green tights with the pompom on top?
  2. Next to a windmill. Second of all, do people really think that windmills are all over Holland, and that every single town has a windmill? Many towns have several.
  3. Sticking your finger in a dam hasn't been needed for many years now, and unlike this American friend is led to believe, in Holland is many years ahead in the field of dam-making. Dams don't regularly break anymore.
  4. Too bad is not tulip season. Rest assured, that somewhere in the world, it is always tulip season.
So, my point is...



Ah, what the hell.Seasons Greetings!

No comments: