Thursday, March 15, 2012

Street Art

On request, here is a post without immature (poop) jokes. Instead I am going to encourage criminal behaviour by praising the graffiti that you (I) can find around where I (probably not you) live. Newtown is known to be an artsy place, and this is often expressed in graffiti and peeling posters.

Generally I am no fan of graffiti as it encourages idiots to scribble their name illegibly, or people who think they are artists writing things in a stupid font that noone can really read. Basically, I'm just against bad handwriting. However, I always enjoy a clever civil obedience which you often see on the internets, and now also on my walks around my house. They aren't top quality, but I do enjoy them and maybe you will too.


I don't know what this is supposed to be (my best guess is this is what you'd get if a llama humped a plesiosaurus), but like many of these graffitis, it is small enough to not offend too much. If this was a few metres tall, you'd probably want to swear at the offender, but as is, this is nice detail.


One of my favourites, this is right outside a dairy (a NZ convenience store). I don't think the Indian owner probably asked this to be here, but I also doubt that he would want to have it removed or painted over.

Artistically this is not the most technical painting, but it is definitely an improvement on the building.

Nice stencilwork here, but poor application as seen in the runny face. The thing about most of these is that they are alongside a amain road, so the artist would need steel balls to complete each work.
Some paintings are painted over, like this pavement octopus.

This is probably somebody's first attempt at a stencil (or maybe it is a pre-fab from the 2$ store). Still, I appreciate stencilwork, and you need to start with the basics.

It seems that someone is a real pokemon fan.

And it seems like someone fancies themself as a new pokemon creator. See?


Somehow I think this is a politically charged work, but I don't get it. Still very nice though.

This one popped up a few weeks ago. This was appropriate because a while back I applied for a job at the zoo. I was appliying to be a giraffe, because apparently I look like one. Very good work on this though, and especially making it that extra size larger.

And lastly, one of the best ones. A brilliant, expressive work with good use of wall as the third colour. Class-act lawlessness.

So everyone get out there and leave your mark. Just no bad handwriting, okay? Thanks in advance.

No comments: