Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I've just recently earned myself a degree in Art History, which is- to be perfectly honest- basically a degree in looking at pictures. The only problem was that during my studies, I never actually saw any real art. I am a classic textbook graduate. I've learnt everything though photographs of paintings. To some people this may seem like only a minor thing, but it is very similar to becoming a qualified surgeon by dissecting teddy bears. It just is not the real thing.

That was a major drawback of studying in New Zealand. Art just doesn't exist on the same level. It just isn't considered important enough. For example, next year the Art department at my university will have 20 staff laid off becuase they don't bring in money like other subjects do. By this they mean that Art doesn't bring foreign students in, but why would anyone come to New Zealand to study art? Especially after seeing a little bit of Europe. You often hear the phrase "heaps of culture" thrown around in New Zealand. This seems to me a phrase similar to speaking "good england". I know I'm being unfair to New Zealand, but after everything I saw yesterday, you'll have to figive me.

See, after two years of borrowing hundreds of books and looking at reproductions, it was beyond exciting to have the opportunity to see art in the flesh. (because art is alive, a living, breathing, feeling, immortal object). Within one day in one city in three museums, I feel like I learnt more than in my whole degree. There is just so much to see, and even more to be seen. Sure there were famous artists that everyone shouldve heard of (Rembrandt, Rubens, Vermeer, Mondrain), but that is really only scratching the surface. There was an amazing exhibition of Finnish art (i.e. the art from the country Finland, not the end of all art). I mean, who knew that Finland had art, or even people for that matter? Even the tiny streets alongside the canals, paved with tiny bricks, watched over by 500 year old buildings and churches. They all have a story to tell, and deserve to be wandered just the same as the museums. Not that it was ever in doubt, but I know now that there wont be a boring day in Holland.
Tomorrow I'll be going to Germany.

No comments: