Monday, December 19, 2005

They say that getting there is half the fun. I say it had better damnwell be considering the cost, which by the way I´m not paying for, thank you very much. When it comes to long distance flights, most people complain about the leg room, the small meals, the tiny tv screens, the computer games which don´t work, the jet lag, and the obese man who spills over into your seat. But I enjoy travel. I enjoy travelling, and everything associated with it. (except the obese man). Travelling is one of those things that gives birth to those priceless moments. Call me a washed up stand-up, but customs was very entertaining. I put my bag though the x-ray and passed through the metal detector at Aukland, and the red lights went off. So, I began taking off my belt and watch, not that they contain any actual metal, and went back and forth a few times. I wasnt expecting to see this many red lights until Amsterdam. Anyways, I managed to slip through without getting the rubber glove treatment, but I was asked to come to special table. The customs officer placed my carry on luggage at the other end of the table, and said to me: "Theres a knife in you bag, isn´t there?". Before I had time to call him an anti-dutchite, he produced from my bag a knife that looked almost identical to the ones we have at home. It turns out it was my nutella knife, which I couldve used to subdue the pilot with a overdose of B-vitamins with the goodness of hazelnuts and whole milk. So unfortunately I was unable to smuggle a knife on board an International flight.

Customs is much less interesting in Europe, and to be honest, doesnt inspire much confidence in the immigration service. It was just a matter of flashing your passport, and choosing the line which wont inspect your luggage. I guess if you´re stupid enough to elect to have your luggage rummaged through by strangers you wont be allowed through. But also, I guess, why would you even smuggle drugs into Holland?

But Holland is nice. The trip so far has been a bit of a P.R. excercise: shaking hands, smiling and small talk. Its the beginning of a political career. Really though, its been great to be back. Although, sometimes it is confusing, and I keep thinking I´m not in holland but the north pole. Sure, they have St. Nickolas day at the start of December, but to see the extent the dutch go to celebrate Christmas is incredible. Of course, Holland is situated a only few hundred kilometers from Germany- the birthplace of the Tannenbaum, so naturally Holland is into this tradition too. And its not the pathetic, limp and sparesly decorated christmas trees found in New Zealand, (which are charming in their own way, but lets face it- crap). But dutch Christmas trees are elaborately yet tastefully decorated to celebrate the spirit of christmas while fitting into the interior decorative scheme. And this commitment to celebrating chrismas is brought outside, where everyone can enjoy it. Walking down an average neighbourhood in the quaint town of Twello, easily over half the houses had chrismas lights, light up santa´s and snowmen, outdoor christmas trees with equally stunning decoration, flocks of real reindeer e.c.t. Even in an old town, a house on the 3rd floor had an outdoor christmas tree dangling from the window. In fact, the only giveaway that this is not the north pole, is that the dutch are much too tall.

It also snowed the other day, adding to the nationwide christmas theme. Unfortunately for me, I hear that most people are so committed to decorating that they all to often neglect the all-important christmas presents. I guess that is the price you pay for a christmas atmosphere. I´m still wondering if it is a price worth paying.

No comments: